In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Camp Runoia

Lucy Weiser, Camp Runoia, 1915

Contributed by Camp Runoia
MMN Item 10142 Item Details
Lucy Weiser, Camp Runoia, 1915
MMN Item 10142 Zoom


In 1905-06, Lucy Weiser, joined by a student at Columbia, envisioned a summer camp for girls in the country as many boys were having that opportunity.

By 1907 they had secured a rental place in Belgade Lakes and opened Camp Runoia. By 1915, they moved the camp site across the lake to a property they bought from a local farmer.

Weiser was an industrial designer and designed all the buildings at camp except the existing farm house. This picture shows her in front of the Lodge which she designed and had built -- a building used to assemble the camp, housing a library, pianos, fireplace and eventually the camp office.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.